Happenings & Hot Topics in Global Health Education
SATELLITE SESSION ORGANIZER:
CUGH Education Committee
EDUCATION COMMITTEE CHAIR:
Dr. Quentin Eichbaum
EDUCATION SUBCOMMITTEE (SC) CHAIRS:
• Dr. Jessica Evert (Competency SC)
• Dr Andrew Dykens (Capacity Building SC)
• Dr Lisa Adams (Educational Products SC)
• Dr Paul Drain (Masters and Undergraduate Degrees in GH, SC)
• Dr Ashti Doobay-Persaud ((Masters and Undergraduate Degrees in GH, SC)
• Dr Jonathan Ripp (Global Health Program Advisory SC)
• Charles Barbeau-Meunier (Trainee Advisory SC)
• Dr James Hudspeth (Graduate Medical Education Working Group)
• Dr Tracy Rabin (Ethics and Best Practices (Working Group)
The Education Committee Satellite meeting will extend over a period of 4 hours on the morning of March 15.
There will be 3 parts to the meeting.
WELCOME - INTRODUCTION & ORDER OF DAY'S EVENTS
Education Committee and Satellite Chair (Dr. Quentin Eichbaum)
Part 1 - ANNUAL REPORTS AND FUTURE PROJECTS (60-70 min)
This part will start with a summary of the Education Committee’s (EC) work over the part year. Each of the eight EC subcommittee chairs will then present 5 -7 min reports on their subcommittee’s accomplishments over the past year, followed by their vision and proposed goals for the coming year. These reports will be followed by 20-30 min of question time and open discussion with the audience.
(Break- 10 min)
Part 2- HOT TOPICS IN GLOBAL HEALTH EDUCATION (80-90 min)
This part will entail a series of about six 10-minute short talks/debates on hot/controversial topics in global health education.
• Promoting and assessing towards transformative learning in a global health education (GHE) context - Susan Van Schalkwyk
• Global Health Competencies: Assessment, Evaluation, and Current Conversations – Jessica Evert
• Teaching Interpersonal Effectiveness: Making friends with experiential learning - Sharon Rudy
• Shifting the Paradigm: Decolonizing north-south partnerships – Lisa V. Adams and Quentin Eichbaum
• Pre-Departure and Post-Return: Updates in Preparation, Approval, Tracking, and Risk Mitigation - Gabrielle Jacquet and Mylo Schaaf
(Break 5-10 minutes)
Part 3- ROUNDTABLE BREAK OUT SESSIONS (60 min)
This part will entail round table discussions based on Subcommittee current ongoing projects but will also include new areas for further discussion from the HOT TOPICS, or other INNOVATIVE proposals for further development into projects/articles on the subcommittees. This part is designed to give participants a chance to hear both about the EC subcommittees’ current work, and to explore NEW topics in global health education for project development on these subcommittees. Roundtables will then each give a brief report back (3-5 min) on what was discussed at their table and how it might impact their work for the coming year.
ROUNDTABLE BREAKOUT SESSION TOPICS & FACILITATORS
• Shifting the Paradigm: Decolonizing North-South Partnerships – Lisa Adams and Quentin Eichbaum
• Ethics and Best Practices Working Group: Assessing the WEIGHT Guidelines – Tracy Rabin
• Identifying Employer Expectations of Recent Graduates in Global Health – Kristin Sznajder and Jacob Gomez
• Global Health Competencies: Assessment, Evaluation, & Current Conversations – Jessica Evert
• Know Before You Go: Preparation and Security Resources – Gabrielle Jacquet and Mylo Schaaf
• Global Health and Graduate Medical Education – James Hudspeth and Phuoc Le
• Promoting and Assessing Towards Transformative Learning in a Global Health Education Context – Janet Hafler and Carmi Margolis
• Challenges and Opportunities in Creating Public Health and Preventive Medicine Web-Based Training Programs Globally – Erica Frank
CONCLUSION (10-20 min)
The EC chair (or designee) will summarize the meetings proceeding and allow for final questions and concerns from the audience.