Outside the Box: Addressing the Sustainable Development Goals through a One Health Approach
CUGH PRE-CONFERENCE HALF DAY WORKSHOP
Thursday March 15, 2018
8:00am - 12:00pm
Room: Sutton South
New York Hilton Hotel - Midtown
New York, NY
SATELLITE SESSION ORGANIZERS
• University of Pensylvania, School of Veterinary Medicine
• University of California, Davis
• Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges
• Colorado State University
• Vet Agro Sup (Lyon, France)
• Washington State University Paul G. Allen School for Global Animal Health
SATELLITE SESSION OBJECTIVES
This half-day session aims to engage the audience in issues related to the role of livestock in addressing global food security, female empowerment, and wealth creation. Areas addressed may include:
• Can we train veterinarians in LMICs to work with other healthcare providers, governmental agencies, NGOs, and other academic and community-based entities to foster healthy, mutually beneficial livestock husbandry practices?
• How do we mitigate environmental harm from livestock rearing?
• Can expert livestock caretaking be used to educate girls and create wealth for women?
• How can we harness modern production agriculture knowledge to increase productivity for smallholders?
• How do we share knowledge and best practices to prevent the development of antimicrobial resistance?