INTEREST GROUP RESOURCES
“Oral health is a global public good and a basic human right” ~ Dr. Anvar Velji
CUGH's first interest group was its global oral health interest group (GOHIG). Oral health is a neglected global health challenge. We are committed to improving access to dental care and prevention, particularly in low income communities through building capacity, education, and research. If you are a dentist or other public health professional please join this group and identify ways we can strengthen access to quality oral health for all.
What are social determinants of health (SDH)?
Oral health can be influenced by social factors such as socioeconomic status, place of residence, or education. Global oral health aims to reduce health inequality among different social groups.
Journals can be useful tools for educating people about global oral health and promoting change to improve oral health equality:
Baelum V, van Palenstein Helderman W, Hougson A, Yee R, Fejerskov O. The role of dentistry in controlling caries and periodontitis globally. In: Fejerskov O, Kidd EAM, editors. Dental caries: the disease and its clinical management. Oxford: Blackwell Munksgaard; 2008. p. 581.
Fejerskov O, Nyvad B, Kidd E, editors. Caries prevention and control in low- and middle-income countries. Wiley-Blackwell; 2015:405.
Murray CJ, Vos T, Lozano R et al. Disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) for 291 diseases and injuries in 21 regions, 1990-2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet. 2012;380(9859):2197-2223.
Benzian H, Bergman M, Cohen L, Hobdell M, Mackay J. The UN High-level meeting on prevention and control of non-communicable diseases and its significance for oral health worldwide. J Pub Health Dent. 2012;72:91-93
Frencken JE, Holmgren C, van Palenstein Helderman W. Basic Package of Oral Care (BPOC). Nijmengen, Netherlands: WHO Collaborationg Centre for Oral Health Care Planning and Future Scenarios, University of Nijmengen; 2002
Global Oral Health institutions and organizations:
- International Association for Dental Research (IADR)
- American Dental Association, International Volunteer Organization (ADA)
- American Dental Education Association (ADEA)
- International Federation of Dental Educators and Associations (IFDEA)
- World Health Organization, Division of Oral Health (WHO)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Oral Health (CDC)
- Pan American Health Organization, Division of Oral Health (PAHO)
- World Dental Federation (FDI)
Get Involved & Upcoming Events
- FDI Annual World Dental Congress September 22-25, 2015 in Bangkok, Thailand
- 45th Annual Meeting & Exhibition of the AADR March 16-19, 2016 in Los Angeles, Calif., USA
- The 2016 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition March 12–15 in Denver, CO.
- Harvard Dental Bulletins
- WHO | Global Oral Health Database
- American Dental Association
- National Maternal and Child Oral Health Resource Center
- Oral Health America
- American Association of Pediatric Dentistry
- National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
- American Dental Hygienists’ Association
- The Orthodontic Information Page
- Simplyteeth.com (For child orthodontics)
- National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research
- WebMD Oral Health
- Smiles Change Lives
- Journal of Dental Education
- The American Dental Education Association
- Dentistry from the Heart
- ADA Foundation
- National Children’s Oral Health Foundation
- American Assocation of Women Dentists
Dental and Orthodontic Terms: